< Back to news
Summer Showcase 2020 Filming Week
Legacy of Love is an important Showcase to VSPA. It marks our 15th Showcase and 15 years of sharing the performing arts with our community. We had such big plans and hopes for the show and the experience everyone would have – both in the audience and on the stage.
We know how difficult this has been on parents. It has been difficult for young people too. VSPA is doing our very best to still give the performers something to look forward to after months of disappointment. The Lewis Family Playhouse (LFP) is committed to this community as well. We will have a Summer Showcase. Due to the current state mandate however, there will be no live audience .
Here are all of the wonderful things still happening. VSPA performers will get to perform and dance on a professional stage, with a professional lighting designer, a professional tech crew, and a professional camera crew. Let’s spin the narrative… the performers have the opportunity to experience what it is like in Hollywood and the commercial world to film their art. Pretty cool!
The shows will be offered as a Pay Per View event at a later date after editing is complete. Details on pricing is still to come. This is a new world for the LFP as well as VSPA. We are coordinating pricing structure between the camera/production crew, web server and the theater. VSPA must recoup the costs of production.
- On Your Normal Class Day & Approximate Time You will arrive at the Lewis Family Playhouse (please arrive 15 minutes prior to your class time)
- Your performer will arrive in costume (use the bathroom prior to drop off)
- Hair & makeup done
- Proper tights on
- Dance shoes on (to protect shoes, try covering them with old socks)
- Masks On
- Quart sized Ziploc baggie labeled with name for Mask & Cell Phone
- You will gather in the courtyard in front of the theater near the Shakespeare statue, maintaining social distancing
- Anyone entering the theater must wear a mask and go through a Wellness Screening
- Performers will be routed with their teacher through the theater
- Parents will wait outside the building with a live feed of our process on the stage.
- After the performer is finished, the teacher will return the performers back to the parents outside the theater in the courtyard through the Front Double Doors.
- Parents should plan on performers being inside the theater anywhere from 30 mins. – 1 hour and 30 minutes.
The Performing Plan:
- Performers will remove their masks, place in Ziploc baggie and lay them on a designated table which is disinfected between groups.
- Teachers will space the dance/group on the stage.
- Performers will run through their dance/piece.
- Teacher will decide when they are ready to film
- Lighting crew sets and corrects their lights
- Film crew makes camera choices and understands each piece
- Filming will begin. Once the production team is satisfied, the filming will end.
- Performers will put back on their masks & sanitize their hands before exiting the stage
Designated Dressing Room:
For those performers with multiple classes in a day, a designated dressing area will be assigned. Please bring as little as possible into the room. “Shownies” (nude leotard base layer) are MANDATORY in this room. Water and Costume Designer Approved Snacks are the only food and drink allowed in this room.
“Costume Designer” approved list of snacks for the performers:
- saltine type crackers
- sliced apples
- plain beef jerky
Please make sure you are receiving all pertinent information by:
- Adding firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts
- Liking our Facebook Page @ValverdeSchoolOfPerformingArts
- Follow us on Instagram @valverdeschoolpa
If you have questions, please feel free to email us or call us during our normal business hours. We are here to help.
M-F 4:00pm – 8:00pm
Sat. 8:30am – 1:00pm
When life throws you a lemon, make lemonade. This is a great opportunity to teach our performers resilience. Life does not always go as planned, but we can make the most of it. We hope you’ll join us in this effort, in this Legacy of Love.
With Much Love,
Mr. Frank & Ms. Yesenia